A blog on gardening, life by the sea, photography and wildlife

Tuesday 25 March 2014

Canon Digital Zoom Lens or Panasonic FZ72 Bridge Camera?

I have been toying with the idea of buying a Panasonic FZ72 digital bridge camera, Sue Garrett from Our Plot on Green Lane Allotments has one and Mark Willis from Mark`s Veg Plot has just received one also. Sue`s pictures are particularly good and I look forward to seeing Mark`s
The idea of a pretty massive zoom lens appeals to me for wildlife photography my birthday is in May so maybe I should start hinting.
A decent sized zoom lens for a SLR digital camera will cost about the same as a complete Panasonic FZ72 bridge camera which is light enough to use as a walk around camera for general use saving the weight of a camera and seperate lenses.
I will consider the options after a review from Sue and Mark in the meantime I got out my old Canon 300mm zoom lens which has no image stabilisation so has been relegated to the back of the cupboard dusted it off put it on a Canon 20D body and took the following pictures with it. I had forgotten just what a good lens it is very sharp with good contrast and superbly built, like a tank compared to the modern plastic I.S. versions.
The drawback is that a really steady hand (or a tripod which I want to avoid) is needed at 300mm in poor light and that may be something to consider when making a decision.
All pictures taken at the maximum 300mm setting.
Footnote about the seagull picture. My first photo against the grey sky showed how filthy the sensor was on my old 20D showing up as black specks, a quick clean with a cotton bud and all was well.










10 comments:

  1. Martyn bought a Nikon with a large zoom lens and finds its just too heavy to cart around. I couldnt even hold it - with the lens attached to use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that`s exactly what I thought today when taking the pictures, heck this is heavy, ok when I was twenty something

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't had much of a play with the new camera yet - I realised that it didn't come with an SD card (though it does have a small integral memory), but initial indications are good. I just need the time to learn how to use it. For the time being I'm sticking with my trusty (and well-understood) Olympus E450.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see you back again. Those images are beautifully sharp, but having to use a tripod isn't really practical. The Panasonic looks impressive, but still quite bulky. Always difficult deciding with so many different reviews out there! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie, as you say more research needed, I took a break from the blog after trying to get better after a diagnosis of type 2 diabetes last year happy to say I am off medication and on diet alone at least until my blood test in a months time, congratulations on your daughter being called to the bar, what camera do you use for your travels as in the London trip?

      Delete
    2. Hope you manage with the diet. I know the injection route is no fun :( I still use my Nikon S550 when out and about. I'm sure there's better ones out there now, but I'm happy with it. I actually prefer it to my big camera for sunrise shots. It's easy to switch modes and the colours seem brighter.

      Delete
    3. I like Nikon cameras my SLR`s make brighter pictures than the Canons

      Delete
  5. Excellent, sharp photography and I'm loving the ladybird cursor!

    ReplyDelete